By Giannis Tsakonas, Christos Papatheodorou
Assessment of electronic Libraries summarizes study and perform on each side of the Atlantic and goals to reply to the aptitude questions that either the theoretical and useful components of electronic library overview have posed in the course of contemporary years. The publication systematically offers elements of engaging groups, purposes and goals of review, methodologies and metrics, and alertness paradigms.
- The publication offers with useful and theoretical matters on electronic libraries improvement and evaluation
- It can be multi-disciplinary as a result of its nature incorporating perspectives and views of varied contributing fields
- Distinguished electronic library researchers and practitioners current systematically equipment, ideas and practices. The record of participants contain Maristella Agosti, David Bainbridge, Ann Blandford, Colleen prepare dinner, Nicola Ferro, Brinley Franklin, Manolis Garoufallou, Sarah Giersch, Richard Hartley, Judy Jeng, Michael Khoo, Martha Kyrillidou, Yvonna Lincoln, David McArthur, Maria Monopoli, David Nicholas, Christos Papatheodorou, Terry Plum, Tefko Saracevic, Rania Siatri, Yin Leng Theng, Giannis Tsakonas and Lee Zia
Read or Download Evaluation of Digital Libraries. An Insight Into Useful Applications and Methods PDF
Similar storage & retrieval books
Net mining goals to find necessary details and data from internet links, web page contents, and utilization information. even supposing net mining makes use of many traditional facts mining suggestions, it's not only an program of conventional info mining as a result of semi-structured and unstructured nature of the net information.
Tika in motion is the final word advisor to content material mining utilizing Apache Tika. you will easy methods to pull usable details from another way inaccessible assets, together with web media and dossier files. This example-rich booklet teaches you to construct and expand purposes in keeping with real-world adventure with se's, electronic asset administration, and medical facts processing.
IT catastrophe reaction takes a unique method of IT catastrophe reaction plans. instead of targeting information akin to what you should purchase or what software program you must have in position, the publication specializes in the administration of a catastrophe and diverse administration and verbal exchange instruments you should use earlier than and through a catastrophe.
- Web Data Management Practices: Emerging Techniques and Technologies
- Probabilistic Methods for Bioinformatics: with an Introduction to Bayesian Networks
- Practical Maintenance Plans in SQL Server: Automation for the DBA
- Service Composition for the Semantic Web
- Thesis Projects: A Guide for Students in Computer Science and Information Systems
- Information Retrieval
Additional resources for Evaluation of Digital Libraries. An Insight Into Useful Applications and Methods
The advantages include: log file data are collected automatically, data are collected unobtrusively, the data are good for longitudinal analysis, and the data are based on a census not sampling. Log analysis can provide data for the evaluation of digital library performance while providing useful data about information-seeking behaviour. The disadvantages include the difficulty of differentiating user performance from system performance. It is difficult to identify users, and IP address alone is not sufficient; sessions are hard to determine and many researchers assume that a session lasts 30 minutes; caching proxy servers may thin out the data; and activity by spiders and other crawlers should be segregated in the data.
Librarians were considered the ‘experts’ at building collections and their purchasing decisions went largely untested and unquestioned. At the same time, librarians and their sponsoring organisations prided themselves on the size of their print collections, adding shelving at the expense of user space and building additions, new libraries, and high-density storage facilities to house their print library collections. The older print focused model looked at the collection from the point of view of the collection as a resource.
Would like to know what they are getting for their money and whether they would be better off putting their money elsewhere. The same questions are asked of all social systems. Although it may be impossible and even improper to seek a direct ROI using the measuring-rod of money, the questions are legitimate and should be addressed in value studies of digital libraries. Different measuring rods or criteria need to be used, but they need to be convincing and demonstrable. Needless to say, all managers and administrators of digital libraries would dearly like to have answers that will justify the expenditures and demonstrate the value of the digital libraries they manage.