By Nicos Trimikliniotis, Umut Bozkurt
Cyprus is a postcolonial island identified for traditional fuel reserves and ethnic divisions. This quantity provides a clean standpoint at the Cyprus challenge through interpreting the societal modifications happening in the island: socioeconomic improvement, inhabitants transitions and migration, and quickly altering social and political associations.
Read or Download Beyond a Divided Cyprus: A State and Society in Transformation PDF
Similar war & peace books
During this booklet, Andrzej Sitkowski confronts simple peacekeeping myths. First, the idea that peacekeeping is break away peace enforcement blurs this distinction and undermines the viability of peacekeeping operations. Secondly, it's broadly believed that the peacekeepers are allowed to use strength in simple terms in self-defense and shortage the authorization to take advantage of it in protecting UN protection Councils mandates.
Does women's participation in nation-building make a distinction to the post-conflict trajectories of very risky societies? ladies and Nation-Building provides compelling findings for policymakers, practitioners, and students occupied with either the tutorial and pragmatic implementation of an engendered method of nation-building.
- Why Violence? Why Not Peace?
- The Chickenhawk Syndrome: War, Sacrifice, and Personal Responsibility
- Darwinism, War and History: The Debate over the Biology of War from the 'Origin of Species' to the First World War
- Chechens: Culture and Society
Extra resources for Beyond a Divided Cyprus: A State and Society in Transformation
Later, four of these banks were closed by the decision of the Council of Ministers. Following the banking crisis, Ero˘glu’s government sought ﬁnancial aid from Turkey. Yet Turkey was BEYOND A DIVIDED CYPRUS 17 not willing to provide unconditional support and imposed an economic austerity package that faced widespread resistance from the opposition parties, trade unions as well the business community. As a result of this opposition, the government could not implement the package, which led to a shortage of funds.
Finally, it must be noted that the environmental aspects are hardly discussed by anyone in the public discourse, including the Left on both sides of the barbed wire. This is a vital aspect for public debate and research. It is therefore essential to disperse three false assumptions: First, the mere discovery of hydrocarbons in the offshore of the Republic does not somehow automatically translate into economic and geopolitical “value” for Cyprus, even if the very discovery is certainly transforming the stakes of those interested in exploiting the reserves for proﬁt and regional power.
19. See Anderson (2008). 20. com/detail/230171. html (accessed March 10, 2012). 21. Precariat is a neologism that combines the meaning of the adjective precarious and the noun proletariat. 22. Research by Faiz underscores the gradual disappearance of the TurkishCypriot middle classes. We thank Muharrem Faiz. 20 NICOS TRIMIKLINIOTIS AND UMUT BOZKURT 23. For instance, the Democratic Party of Serdar Denkta¸s, son of the late Rauf Denkta¸s, the Right-wing Turkish-Cypriot leader who founded the TRNC, participated in the demonstrations in March 2011.